Server security provides security to data held on the servers. Server security comprises of different methodologies and techniques to protect server and its data. Server security helps in preventing from intrusions, black hat hacking and other malicious activities. Server security measure are typically implemented in different layers. Insecure servers are at great business risk and can cause network security issues.
Layers are: -
Base OS (operating system) – Focuses on security of critical component and services.
Hosted websites and applications – Managing and regulating content and services hosted on server.
Network security – It protects against online exploits, attacks and malware’s.
Securing server: -
Securing large and complex servers requires special skills. Any business organization should be aware of risk involvement and basic cyber security measures. Apart from setting up firewall, there are lot of other techniques and methods that should be consider for securing servers.
Good security practices helps to improve your business server and network security. If you are not following any security measures and practices then you should follow below points: -
- Keep them locked. Authorize only the required users.
- Monitor and restrict access to unused ports.
- Regularly check your server reports and always remember to analyze security logs.
- Maintain stable power supply.
- Asses their environment for risks.
Servers generally requires: -
- Regular backups and updates
- Reliable anti-malware solution
- Reliable support services
Server security checklist: -
- Log all server details – Always remember to log all transactions in server. Incoming and outgoing traffic logs help in detecting potential threats. Monitor access logs and follow up suspicious activity. Logs should be created for each and every activity such as – account logins, system configuration and changing permissions.
- Transcript server details – Identify and make not of important details related to server. Such as server ID (identification) number and MAC (media access control).
- Install updates – Regularly check for updates of all installed software’s and other applications that requires recent updates.
- Physical Security – Consider using security guards to prohibit unauthorized access. Restrict access to server room and ensure keys are kept securely.
- Uninstall unused software – Remove unused and unnecessary applications and software’s and operating system component. And disable unnecessary services.
- Observe hardware – Regularly lookout hardware maintenance and routinely check your server. Replace damaged components.
- Backup Procedures – Constantly backup all your data and routinely checks operating system as directed. Regularly test recovery images.
- System integrity – Employ multi-authentication methods such as two-factor authentication for all system logins. Remove account that are no longer used and necessary.
Maintain Server Security: -
Protect your business from evolving potential threats. Cybercriminals always try to find bugs and vulnerabilities. They normally target those servers that are using default configuration. There are many server security solutions that are available at good cost. You will find safe solutions offering security to the servers.
Now day’s server security is very essential and should be implemented in every organizations. Consider following above points to secure server. For better security connect with HTS Hosting, best hosting company provides best in class server security. We offer different plans such as – corporate web hosting, Linux Dedicated hosting and other hosting plans.